21 November 2011

Fire 03

It has been nearlt 2 weeks that I try to find out the perfect way to make flames. The pitch will be in couple of days now, so me and our team are eager to see the positive outcome from me. To tell the truth, I think I succeeded to make fair quality of flame.

I found the tutorial making candle light with softbody. Then I thought softbody wouldn't take too long to render since it isn't fluid and also the colour is from the object not particle itself. If I make the flame with softbody and glowness with the fire that I made earlier in Fire 01, it could be quiet convincing.

So I made an flame shape of nurbs object, and turned it into a softbody. I fully followed this tutorial. I linked a turbulence field to the softbody after I added 'spring' to the softbody, and I played animation and the flame was so.. abnormal.


So I linked a drag field to hold the object. I thought maybe the turbulence field could be the problem, affecting the force to around the object. I changed the attribute as cone shaped volume so it can only affects to the overlapped part of the object.



Now the overlapped part of the object looks like melting down along side of the volume area.
I increased the stiffness in the spring attributes.


and the result was..


 Even I increased magnitude of turbulence, it didn't even get shaken or moved anything. It just melted down.


I almost gave up making individual flames after continuous failing. As reading through the tutorial again, I realised the only stage that the object acts funny will be when I added spring to the object. Before hand, all i did was making nurbs object to softbody. So I started up new scene and skipped the adding spring and it worked so well! I finally succeeded to make a flame and it was perfectly moved by the fields.



 softbody flame + particle fire



Final render for the pitch




I'm so glad I could finish it before the pitch. I never thought it would be that difficult to make gas stove fire before I failed so many times. However, I could learn how to distinct which will be effective way for the scene and which won't. Plus it was a good experience that I could experiment so many various ways to create one asset. The result in this post isn't the final one for the film but I personally think I achieved 70% of job for the completion.

No comments:

Post a Comment